St. Petersburg Yoga has a reputation for being the trusted go-to place for Yoga to recover from back pain. For over 30 years our studio has specialized in helping those with back pain, scoliosis, pinched nerves, herniated discs, and many other spinal challenges. Many St. Petersburg area chiropractors and other physicians regularly refer patients to us.
These classes are designed to address the foundational causes of back pain which include: tightness / lack of range of motion, side-to-side muscular imbalances, lack of joint space, and weakness of supportive muscles along the spine and joints. With the most common back issues, many styles and postures in Yoga are not only unhelpful, but actually harmful. In these Restorative style classes you’ll learn not only postures to help you move away from back pain, but also learn what movements to avoid.
We also offer Private Yoga Sessions which can be helpful for getting one-on-one advice and customized practices for your conditions.
What to expect
- Longer hold, mostly floor-based postures
- Assistance customizing the postures to target your needs and avoid injury
- Stretch-oriented postures that decompress the spine and joints
- Focus on side-to-side imbalances (which is commonly at the root of back pain)
- Focus on regaining space between the joints (also at the root of most back pain)
- Postures that help strengthen the small (often atrophied) supportive muscles along the spine
- Often the instructor will ask what people need specific help with, and if you let them know they’ll gear the class towards your specific pains
Get Help With:
— Lower Back Pain
— Upper Back Pain
— Neck / Cervical Spine Pain
— Structural Misalignments
— Spinal Compression
— Herniated Discs
— Bulging / Compressed Discs
— Spinal Stenosis
— Degenerative Disk Disease
— Pinched Nerves
— Headaches from Back Issues
St. Petersburg Yoga founder Chris Acosta, an E-RYT 500, has been working with back challenges for three decades. First healing his own pinched nerves, herniated discs, arthritis, and scoliosis with Yoga; he has since taught thousands how to do the same for themselves.